Our company (SGMA) is looking for a Senior Chemist to join our team based in Sittingbourne in Kent. To commercialise our award-winning Paper Coating Technology along with our other key products in our technical platform. The world is facing considerable challenges posed by plastic pollution and climate change. In our oceans alone, it is estimated that there will more plastic than fish by 2050. The extent of the problem extends beyond just plastics in our oceans, with microplastics (tiny fragments of plastic found in water and air) now being found in the Arctic and other remote areas.
The global market urgently requires sustainable solutions to tackle these major challenges. SGMA delivers solutions that are extracted from sand, sustainable and provide alternatives to plastic and a route to create effective non fossil fuel-based chemicals by using non-toxic raw materials that are available globally.
SGMA’s barrier coating for fibre-based packaging provides an excellent example of how we can make a difference. Our barrier coating for fibre-based packaging provides a complete solution to replace single-use plastics and eliminates confusion among users and customers.
Completely free from micro plastics, our technology helps also fits seamlessly into the recycling infrastructure of any country by providing a solution that is biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable. The product currently is in process of getting certified for food contact in Europe and America.
Area of Responsibilities:
- Review opportunities for process and product development/improvements with Founder.
- Maintain raw material knowledge with Industry Standards.
- Develop new, market leading products based on critical to quality (CQ) metrics.
- Complete project assignments in a timely manner.
- Proficiency with Manufacturing processes.
- Train R&D Technicians and Jr. Chemists as assigned.
- Perform such routine or non-routine tasks as necessary.
- Maintain assigned products as a Product Steward.
- Maintain work area in a professional manner.
- Participate in safety inspections and maintain a safe work area.
- Run R&D coatings projects, both short and long term, from concept through scale-up and commercialisation.
- Deal directly with customers doing technical service-related work.
- Support QC and manufacturing in scale-ups and with any chemistry problems they have.
- Knowledge of statistical experimental design and data analysis techniques.
Excellent interpersonal skills. Candidate to be able to work as a team member and independently on multi-task assignments within a SME environment.
Experience in the analysis and application of chemical, physical, and mechanical data to problem solving and product development.
Studies and experience in the areas of coatings, surface chemistry or composites is a plus.
Ability to partner with customers in product development programs.
Experience in directing the activities of laboratory technicians.
A passion and desire to support junior team members and create an ethos within the business that drives innovation as we create further products to support the removal of plastic. A in depth knowledge of new legislation on the removal of PFAS for UK, Europe and US would be an advantage.
Starting Salary of £40,000 p.a. depending on experience and qualifications
The position is based in Sittingbourne, Kent at the Kent Science Park, own transport is essential.
For further information please send your CV and covering letter demonstrating your skills and experience and why you could make a difference, to email@example.com
Note: there may be a need for international travel to support the roll out of the new ranges, working collectively with clients’ scientific teams.